Can I still join the army without a gallbladder?

I had it removed when I was 14. I wouldn’t think it would be an issue since we technically don’t need a gallbladder and I’m otherwise healthy, but I always hear of people getting disqualified at meps for things they would never think would disqualified for. Would I probably need a waiver for it?

• Jason

You're good to go. From the guiding regulation:

"4–14. Abdominal organs and gastrointestinal system

d. Hepato-pancreato-biliary tract.

(3) Cholecystectomy once recovery is complete and asymptomatic is not disqualifying."

The section you're looking for is found on page 37:

https://ssilrc.army.mil/wp-content/uploads/2019/10...

i dont see why you couldnt, i dont have a gallbladder myself

• Silver

Everything always matters. I've read that thing, and there's about 100 things I could be disqualified for, and I'm generally pretty healthy.

Here's all they say on gallbladder: Current or history of symptomatic cholecystitis, acute or chronic, with or without cholelithiasis, postcholecystectomy syndrome, or other disorders of the gallbladder and biliary system are disqualifying.

I think all that matters is WHY you got it taken it out, and since you're probably not still suffering from it since it's gone, it might not be a problem.

Yes. It is one less thing for the medics to have to stuff back inside you when the IED blows your guts out, why wouldn't the army want that?

Seriously though, the gallbladder is the single most useless organ in the whole human body; beating out even the appendix for that title. It exists only to produce stones, get clogged, become infected, and need removed.

Ask a recruiter

Not sure why. Consult your recruiter.