Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 3 weeks ago

Math medication calculation ?

I am not understanding these med math problems. My professor does not explain to my class how to do these. I would like for someone to explain to me how to do this. The book is not clear at explaining either  Please help! :(

1. The nurse receives an order to infuse Unasyn (sulbactam/ampicillin) 375 mg IVPB over 30 minutes. The Pharmacy supplies the following medication vial, to be mixed with 50 mL D5W. Calculate the infusion rate in mL/hr.

2. A patient is taking 1 tablet of hydrocodone bitartrate 5 mg and acetaminophen 325 mg (Vicodin) every 4 hours around the clock (ATC). How many grams of acetaminophen is the patient taking daily? Record your answer in ______ grams

The answer for #1 is 100 mL/hr, but I am not understanding how they got 100 mL/hr. "The pharmacy supplies the following medication" which is: 375 mg

The first one is super easy: you have 375 mg in 50cc, which you have to give over 30 minutes, to get the hourly rate you just multiply by 2 so 100 in 1 hour is 50 in 30 minutes

Q1. “The Pharmacy supplies the following medication vial”.

But it doesn’t tell us what is in the vial!

So the question is impossible without the missing information.

Q2. 325 mg acetaminophen every 4 hours.

This is taken 6 times a day (because 24h/4h = 6).

Daily dose = 6 x 325 = 1950 mg.

Divide by 1000 to change mg to grams.

1950/1000 = 1.95g

#2. 325 mg x (24/4)

= 325 mg x 6 = 1950 mg = 1.95 grams.