Could the WOW signal have been a technological singularity?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Huh?
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No, it was probably just a random reflection of a radar or radio signal form a piece of space junk. It was never repeated despite attempts to listen for anything form the same part of the sky.

• Argent
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It could have been (and seems to have been) a singular event, but that's not the meaning of a technological singularity.

Read about that concept here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singul...

• 1 month ago

It could have been anything. It has never repeated so we can't know what it was.

• 1 month ago

Which WOW signal? There were 2 of them. The one in 1967 is a pulsar. The other one that never repeated, well, if that was technological singularity, why didn't it continue?    There's been some revisionist history in the last 50 years.    

https://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/200602/hi...  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No, more likely a distant pulsar. I pick those up myself with my radio telescope.

One such star was misinterpreted Morse code from the 'Angry star' PSR B0531+21 just one of many

• 1 month ago

It actually turned out to be a Signal from a faraway forgotten human probe

Jocelyn Bell a young intern in the National Radio Observatory was on the Night Shift back in the Sixties

She Noticed a Signal that was repeating itself regularly

Realising it was odd she penned LGM on the Print out

It turned out to be the first detection of a Pulsar

Her Boss achieved a Nobel Prize for it

The Document still survives to the day and Jocelyn now teaches Astronomy in her home Northern Ireland in Armagh Observatory

Attachment image
    Source(s): No Bell for Jocelyn unfortunately, I met her, a nice lady
    • This is exactly analogous to those ufo reports we know and loathe. The drift of the gullible is "we don't know what it is, so it must be boogiemen from another galaxy."

• 1 month ago

No,

but it could have been an equipment glitch, manmade object, or as yet unknown natural phenomenon. We now know about something called an FRB so it was almost certainly some species of those.

Just think: if the operator had written SH1T! next to the chart anomaly, it would have been known as the SH1T! signal to this day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.