Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

Are these sentences correct:

a) "After my usual path,  I went along the docks TO STRETCHEN my weekend walk. "

b) "After my usual path,  I went along the docks TO LENGTHEN my weekend walk. "

c) "After my usual path, I went along the docks TO PROLONG my weekend walk. "

Best Answer

In addition to my usual route, I strolled alongside the docks to prolong my weekend walk.

• enn

Only "B" is correct. The word "stretchen" is incorrect. "To Stretch" , or lengthen, or make longer, only applies to physical objects or time. You can stretch the length of a road, you can stretch a rubber band or a piece of clothing or gum, you can stretch time by adding extra minutes to a given time period. But the word "Stretch" can only have the following conjugations: "To stretch", "Stretched" (past tense)., "Stretching". We don't "Stretchen". (Sorry). The word "prolong" is a future tense word, used in describing what one plans to do, intends to do in the future. "I intend to prolong the time of my daily walk by adding on to my path a second path." When you are intentionally anticipating prolonging a given time frame, you are doing so with the intention of having less time later on for another event or activity. "I will prolong the time of my daily walk for exercise in order to have less time waiting at the bus stop." (That is roughly where the word "prolong" intends to be used.)

We sometimes put '-en' at the end of a noun to make it a word, like length/lengthen, light/lighten, etc.  but 'stretch' is already a verb, meaning to make longer.  'Stretchen' is wrong.

The other two are okay.  'Lengthen', to add length, to make longer.  'Prolong', to make longer (in time).

they are all grammatically correct.   But the best use of word in this sentence is option C.   Prolong means to extend the length of the walk.   A -  stretchen is usually use for warming up your body.   B - lengthen can be used for make an item longer such as your dress or pants.   I hope this helps....

• Lisa A

STRETCHEN is not a word.

Both b and c are correct usage. But they have two subtly different meanings. You can LENGTHEN the distance. You PROLONG the time.