How do you get a guardian (of the money only) if SSA somehow decides i cant handle money?

I want to get my own ssi and ssdi money payments to my own bank account. But ssa building wants me to go to a doctor to see if i can handle money. Living with mom and next door to grandma and next-of-direct family, how do you get SSA to do representative payee as a legal guardian? I don't want any my family managing money. I want to be in full control so it doesn't get wasted.


*I don't want my family above my mom to handle my money.* I'm fully capable, but SSA needs a doctors note saying i have mental capacity to handle money.

2 Answers

  • Judith
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    A person does NOT have to be a legal guardian in order to be appointed a representative payee. In fact most payees are NOT legal guardians. Social Security does NOT require that a rep payee also be a legal guardian.

    Actually according to their records and a statement from a doctor you are NOT fully capable. If you want to be your own payee then you do what they advised you to do - you make an appointment with a doctor and tell the doctor the purpose of the appointment is to evaluate your ability to manage your own benefits appropriately. Either the doctor will agree with you or the doctor won't agree with you. If the doctor believes you are capable then social security will make you your own payee.

    As far as who gets appointed your payee - social security has what is called a priority list. A living-with relative has top priority. Most payees do NOT live with the beneficiaries. If your mother wasn't your payee or she no longer wishes to be your payee, then they would be looking for a relative who is in a position to be aware of your needs and who would agree to manage your benefits on your behalf. Also keep in mind that sometimes beneficiaries make it so difficult for their payees by being uncooperative that no one wants to be their payee. When that happens social security will appoint a professional payee who is a person you won't know beforehand. Oftentimes these professional payees will go to court and will be appointed legal guardians as well.

    It was NOT a "building" that told you what to do - it was a claims rep who works for social security.

    Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    They're giving you the chance to convince a doctor that you're capable of managing your own money. So just go do that. If the doctor doesn't think you're able to take care of your own affairs you'll just have to continue living under the apparently conservatorship you currently have. That also doesn't mean that you couldn't go challenge this again in the future if your condition improves.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.