Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

Purse left at restaurant, is it right for manager to go through belongings?

Last night, I left my bag at a wings restaurant and didn’t realize it was gone until 30 minutes after we left. I called the restaurant and identified the bag on the phone and they said I could come by and get it. Me and my boyfriend get back to the restaurant for me to get my bag, and the manager finally comes up after 10 minutes of me standing there. Instead of having me just ID the bag — small black crossbody with two zippers —she asks me questions off my my driver’s license. 

Her: what’s your name?

Me: Emily Howard

Her: Howard? Um then what’s your maiden name

Me: I’ve never been married.

**NOTE MY DRIVERS LICENSE SAYS EMILY HOWARD**

Her: ummm ok then? Where do you live?

After I answer her questions she gives me my bag and I leave. SO. She clearly looked inside my bag. What I need to know is why I couldn’t just walk in and ID my bag. My waitress even said it was mine. Did the manager have the right to look through my belongings. It makes me very uneasy knowing my social security card was in there, credit cards, debit cards, insurance cards and my personal information. I don’t know what type of lady this is. Thoughts???

Best Answer

It is right to look in to see whose it is. However, once he saw the license, if it had a photo that looked like you, he shouldn't have need to do any more.

He has a responsibility to make sure it goes to the right person. That includes looking at the driver's license. I found a purse once. How can you find the owner without opening the wallet and looking at the driver's license and looking for a phone number? If no phone number, there are probably hundreds of people in one country with the same name, depending on the name. About a dozen people have the same name as I do. You got your purse back. Stop complaining.

You know what it's time to put on your big girl pants...

• Ron

it makes you uneasy that someone verified the ownership after you stupidly left your purse with all your cards and ss card?

OF COURSE it is proper to check for ID in the bag and ask questions to confirm it is yours. I BET you would be threatening to sue if they DIDN'T do that and someone else claimed the bag that had seen you carrying it and could give the description you are claiming should be sufficient.

I don't think so but I just had a very similar experience leaving a small back pack in a hotel room. The hotel calls me and asks if I left a small lap top computer in the room. I knew my tablet was inside my back pack that I thought was in the car. It took me a minute to realize that I had left the back pack in the room and they had gone through it and pulled out the tablet. That was annoying but nothing was missing and I was so happy to get my stuff back that I didn't say anything.

• Nuff Sed
      3 weeks agoReport

Why would you find it "annoying" that someone went out of their way to help you?

• xyzzy

Did she have the right to look in your bag, of course. Does it sound like she may have gone a little over board yes. Is there anything thing you can do about it? Don't leave important information laying around.

• Nuff Sed
      3 weeks agoReport

"Overboard"?  They can't simply give away your purse to someone without at least asking them to verify their bona fide credentials, can they?

Lots of people have a cross body bag with two zippers. Clearly she checked your ID and made you prove it. Done. Let it go.

If she looked through it just to look for identification or an address I think that’s appropriate

They may have lost another customer's bag to a scammer. I would have said thank you. Anyone may have seen you leave that bag and then identify it. Don't leave your bag!