were there any black or asian people in england in the 9th century AD?

i'm a white british man in my forties and i'm an actual medieval enthusiast too and european/british history enthusiast in general, and i'm interested to know this? if there were any black or asian people here in england that far back in time? and in the early middle ages?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Asian? I don't think so. It's not inconceivable that a Moor visited England and had sex with a native Saxon woman who had a child, but if so I think these events were rare.

• Ludwig
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Yes, there was an annual carnival in Winchester, similar to Notting Hill.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Great Britain that was governed by the Roman Empire, from 43 to 410 AD, the Roman left in 5th century....and Black people came with the Romans....so certainly there was in the 9th century

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Black people have been in England since at least Roman times. .Burials at Roman London's cemeteries have revealed that the settlement was a "a highly multicultural society". Using bio archaeology, DNA analysis and the examination of grave goods archaeologists at the Museum of London have identified a number of burials of people with "black African ancestry" who had both traveled to and were born in London during the Roman period.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

It's a Viking age, Since there were no travelling ferries or any ship transferred Asian or African race and I would say it's near to zero percentage.

• Will
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Probably. That is the part of history you don't hear about because the individuals were just people who set out on adventures. No doubt there were people from eastern Asian who ventured westward to see what there was to find and vice versa. Blacks however never ventured like that because they were very much still living in tribal societies up until Europeans started taking them. Although I doubt the number of Asians that far into Europe was ever over 20 and interracial relationships probably followed quickly.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.