Should kids and teens be in activities outside of the home such as 4h or special olympics?

I've seen so many kids these days and especially teens who are either addicted or way too attached to their electronics despite the fact that things like special olympics and 4h exist. As for the question well to be honest, yes I definitely think that kids and teens should be in free programs outside of school such as 4h or special olympics if the parents can't afford extracurricular activities. My reasons are because for one kids need to have structure in their life, even as they get older and besides that it can also be useful in keeping older kids out of trouble but I also believe that this should be a program that they would enjoy. So do you agree with putting kids in programs like this?

Charlie, the Special Olympics are for kids who have developmental disabilities like Autism, Asperger's, and what USED TO BE called "mental retardation" in some quarters. They're not designed for, nor are they intended for, non-disabled children. The Special Olympics movement was founded by one of John F.Kennedy's sisters, Eunice Kennedy Shriver. Mrs. Shriver did this as a way of honoring and attempting to help children and people who were like Rosemary Kennedy, JFK's eldest sister. Rosemary was born with what was then called MR, and basically was sheltered and protected until she was in her early 20's. At that time, at her father's insistence, she underwent a prefrontal lobotomy. Joe Kennedy senior wanted this done because he believed it would improve Rosemary's behavior and level of functioning. But sadly, it had the opposite effect, and eventually Rosemary had to be institutionalized because it became unsafe for her to live in anything other than a tightly controlled, highly structured setting. Lobotomy surgery is almost never used as a treatment for MR any more, and this is part of the reason why. It doesn't cure what was then called MR, and in fact, it can make it worse. Surgically removing the part of the brain which is responsible for thinking, memory, and intelligence obviously will not make someone with an intellectual disability smarter. But it took decades for the medical field to reach that conclusion, and in the interim, hundreds of thousands of people were subjected to that surgery, and worse.

4H is a group that teaches skills and values like responsibility to children and teens in agricultural and/or rural areas. It is open to all children and teens who wish to join, disabled or not. 4H is also NOT free. There are fees and dues which must be paid if a child or teen wants to join a club or participate in activities. I agree that kids need time away from technology, for sure- especially with childhood obesity being the health issue that it is these days. Getting involved with sports or other activities, such as music, dance, and the like- is good for children's behavior and academic success, too.

4H is not a free program, as I said a moment ago. The individual clubs all have dues that must be paid in order to join, and there are other expenses involved as well, such as the cost of buying and raising a young animal or animals, for example. I tried to join 4H when I was in high school, and my parents refused to subsidize either my membership or the other costs involved, so I couldn't. It wasn't that they couldn't afford it- they just didn't want to deal with the hassles of my being part of it.  The same was true for just about every other horse related activity that I wanted to participate in. I couldn't even take regular riding lessons because of their attitude, in fact. Instead, I had to learn on my own, and teach myself a lot of things.

• Charlie1 month agoReport

Oh well I do have ASD myself so this is probably why I did special olympics in school. I guess they just call it the olympics when non disabled kids are participating.

• Byrd

Special Olympics are for special needs children do you even know what you are talking about??

• Charlie1 month agoReport

Wait I thought that 4h was free, so is there any other free programs that parents can put their children in if they can't afford extracurricular activities besides special olympics and no chores don't count.