Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 1 month ago

Why is it dangerous to sit around rocks in a calm sea?

I was sitting next to a small rock in the sea and the lifeguard came and told me to not sit there as it's dangerous. How tho?

I mean, I get it if there are waves as you can hit on the rock but the sea was really calm.

• Elaine
    Best Answer

The water moving around the rock produces a current. This current can be strong enough to take a person out to sea. Perhaps the area around this particular rock has a history of rip currents. It doesn't take a big wave to sweep a person off a rock. As an example, at Peggy's Cove there are signs telling people to stay off the black rocks at all times. Even when the sea is calm many people have been swept out to sea and their bodies never recovered. Even the local people warn the tourists and visitors to stay off these rocks. AND every year people disregard the warnings and the sea takes some of them. The lifeguard knows the area and is looking out for your safety. .

I'm not sure but maybe you're too young (or look too young) so they were concerned that you may be at risk?