Diane asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Cat is eating her own fur ?

My cat has a very severe problem with eating the fur off her back on either side of her tail. She now has two 3 inch strips of bare skin and is not about to stop. She was a rescue cat at age 4 and now she’s about 9 or 10 years old.  I’m going crazy because I can’t sleep at night because of the loud slurping and grunting sounds she makes while eating away at her own fur.

• Laura

She is over grooming because of a medical problem. She needs to go to the vet. Once her skin problem is treated she will stop over grooming.

my Siamese poopy licked his fur off his stomach and legs and we, of course, took him to a vet. first thing the vet did was take his urine sample on ultrasound from his stomach to check for uti. second she told us to buy a scent dispenser - u put it in outlet, it costs around 50 euros and is enough for a month. it is supposed to calm a cat doan and make it relaxed. I think my cat became stressed because I left for a month for my house in france, obviously he missed me. u should take your cat to a vet as soon as possible, having no fur is no joke. my friend once had a cat who had problems with fur on the back, so to her vet said it was food allergy and told to feed cat raw food. in any case - go to vet now.

• Maxi

Sounds like your cat likely has mites and if so that could be the reason, so you need to get to the vets and find out........ if not, it could be an allergy caused very likely by the food you feed which makes her feel itchy, so she gnaws at herself and then it becomes a habit which may mean you will need to use a cone to stop the habit continuing and change the food to something without additives in