What exactly are these fish -Skippers?

I have recently seen tins of this fish - by John West. What exactly are they?.Are they perhaps a type of smoked fish and the name a contraction of 'small kippers' and made in a similar way to kippers but from sardines or sprats instead of herrings.

• denise
    Best Answer

There are lots of tinned fish with different names, that are smaller / younger versions of fish breeds.

I've seen Sild, Sardines, Pilchards, Anchovies, Mackerel, as well as Skippers & Herrings.

Apart from the Anchovies, they seem to be very similar in taste.

• CB

Brisling are also called Skippers and Sild are young Herring, and both are tasty little oil-rich fish that are similar to Sardines.

• oikoσ

I hate to be the one to break it to you but sardines ARE small herrings.

• oikoσ
      3 weeks agoReport

Good point, except for one small problem. Pilchards ARE herrings. Common names can be deceiving. For example, "speckled trout" can be used for two fishes; neither one is a true trout. One is a weakfish; one is a char.