In this age of Facebook, online blogs and YouTube channels, are books still relevant?

I am not taking about academic books. It's about general books.

Best Answer

I'm on Facebook, I read blogs, I watch TV and YouTube, I play games, and I read books. Each provide different types of entertainment, sometimes YouTube is what I need, other times it's a good book. Just read a novel yesterday evening to take my mind of things, and it was just what I needed.

So for me, books are certainly still relevant.

• Logan

Yes, books you’re talking about are still entertainment and with ebooks being a thing readership is higher than ever but that’s met with self publishers being a thing so there’s more content than ever

• chorle

In the age where you can get Public Domain books free and the there are podcast discussions, TV shows, YouTubers, and websites like goodreads where people are talking about books. It would seem they are still very relevant. Although I did hear a college professor say his job is harder because although more people are reading more books few are currently reading the same books so it is harder to make allusions that apply in class.

• Marli

They must be relevant because you can read books and periodicals in paper and in digital form. You can also listen to the texts in audio book and CD formats.

Of course.

There's still many people who read books. Including me.

Absolutely! It's not a dead issue.

• Zac Z

Penguin Random House, a big publishing company you might have heard of, had revenues of over 3 billion dollars in 2017.

Looks like they're still selling a book or two once in a while.

What makes you that books aren't relevant anymore?

I guess, you're going from personal experience, but just because you don't read doesn't mean others don't, either, as you see.

• Cogito

What have FB, blogs and Youtube got to do with books?

They are unrelated.

Of course books are relevant.

I've always got at least one book on the go - often several.

I read all the time - at least for an hour a day.

I always have.

• Tina

The question doesn't make sense. Facebook, online blogs and YouTube are not in any way substitutes for books.

How could they be? have you actually read a book?

• Andrew

If you don't think so, that's fine by me. Anybody who might be compelled to ask such a question isn't worth the effort it would take to sway anyway. Enjoy your social media accounts, blogs and videos. I'm sure they're very enlightening and enjoyable for you. I'll stick with books myself.