Politics: Should we revamp railways and encourage more people use them for transportation?

The cost of traveling through trains is less compared to air travel, as we could accommodate more people in a single train compared to an aeroplane.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

I assume you are talking about the U.S.. as in Europe we have dense, frequent and large rail networks. Obviously the train can't compete in journey time for long journeys such as New York to Los Angeles, but where distances between cities is 400 miles or less the train scores highly providing it is a fast, frequent high speed service. Trains generally operate city centre to city centre so no congested journeys to and from airports. No 2 hour check ins and less weather delays or flight delays caused by massive over use of major airports

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Absolutely not. Air travel is much, much quicker & the rails are subsidized. Not only do you pay to travel, but it's supported by tax. Besides, I like driving.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

In USA?

Yes.

I would take a train.

• 4 weeks ago

Good riddance! railways are inherent dirty, unsafe places. The last time I was on a train, a homeless man urinated on my valise.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

There are limits to how many passenger cars can be attached to a train. The length of sidings comes to mind, especially at older stations in big cities. Also, not everybody wants to go from city center to city center.

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Right. Just as we should revamp the old copper wire telephone system.

While you are doing it, you can revamp ocean liners instead of air travel.

But you cannot make rail travel more convenient than private automobiles and airplanes.

Which is why you cannot encourage more people to take the train.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

"We" where? It's a big world and that is an important point. In some parts of the world trains are not a practical solution. Governments in poorer countries also cannot afford the investment in infrastructure. Yet other countries are restricted in that they won't try to compete with private business.

FAIL. Update your question or try again.

• 4 weeks ago

The large downside to travelling by rail is the numerous stops the train makes along to your destination. This adds quite a bit of time, not to mention rail is much slower compared to flights. In this day and age, the vast majority of travelers are time-restricted and can't sit back to enjoy long rail travelling.

• David
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes, which will help towards less air pollution.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No, that would be a sin against capitalism.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.