When someone or an animal gets struck by lightning, does it make sense to describe them like, "the hairs on their body get petrified"?

Update:

I meant the hairs standing up like in a cartoon from being scared.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Nancy
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

No, that doesn't make sense.  Getting struck by lightning wouldn't turn the hair on one's body into stone.  It would more likely singe it off, not that all lightning-strike victims become depilated.  

On the other hand, if someone were speaking metaphorically and were using personification, it is conceivable that someone might describe the phenomenon of one's hair rising up and standing on end just prior to getting struck by lightning as the hair getting frightened, or "petrified" in the sense of being frightened or scared, though "petrified" in that sense technically describes becoming so frightened that one can't move, which would be the opposite of what hair standing on end would do, as it moves into that position from a position of lying flat, or at least a position of not standing on end. 

• denise
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Well petrified means turned to stone, so I would say "the hairs on their body get 'scorched".

• 4 weeks ago

Petrified means turned to stone.

It's the wrong word to use.

• 4 weeks ago

No. You might describe the person metaphorically as being 'petrified' - motionless from fear - but it would be ridiculous to use it to refer to their hair.

Their hair might 'stand on end'.

In any case, 'get petrified' is extremely ugly and awkward.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tina
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No. It means as several other posters have quite correctly told you, 'turned to stone.'

The phrase 'petrified with fear' (so terrified as to be unable to move) has been shortened to 'petrified' meaning very very frightened but as hairs cannot be frightened you cannot use it to describe anything hairy that has been struck by lightening, even if the hairs stood up, which, as you have also been informed, they don't.

You can still use it, but it won't make sense and your readers will not know what you're talking about, partly because you don't either.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

NO. A good writer does not write about things they have inadequate knowledge of.

• Arthur4 weeks agoReport

You don't have any proof that makes me believe you're a good writer yourself.

• ?
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No. Petrification is the process of turning something into stone. Lightning doesnt turn things to stone

• Arthur4 weeks agoReport

Literally Google the word and you'll know what I'm talking about. It has more meanings.

• 4 weeks ago

No, petrified means turned to stone (sort of)

• Lunchlumps4 weeks agoReport

Using something figuratively doesn't give it a different meaning. If you cut your steak with scissors that doesn't make them a knife. You've just found another use for scissors.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.