Ricky asked in PetsCats · 3 weeks ago

Why do cats like to sit on new stuff?

I find this hilarious and I normally notice it with new vehicles that appear out the front. My cat just has to sit on it. Someone has left a moped around my neighbours over night so of course my cat right now is pleasantly perched upon it. Why is that? 

• Angel
    Best Answer

Simply put, new or old cats like to walk on it, crawl in it and perch on it, it's their way of claiming the object as theirs. There's no point in doing this over and over on an edhieting object, once the cat claims it theres no sense claiming it over and over again. They have rubbed on. It and placed their scent on it, why should they. Keep having to do it repetitively?

Cats are sometimes weird but they are smarter than we think, they know what they have done and have not. When people put garden figurines, decorations, furniture up, their outdoor cat will rub it, climb on it and claim it as their territory. Most of the time we don't see it and when we do we think it's strange. They know what they have claimed as their territory, they know everything er change and move in it and sine we are willing to donate tings to our cats they are gracious nought to let us think it still belongs to us and they let us use these larger non cat toys.

To get their smell on it. But not so smart you're letting your cats roam. Cats also go under and up into cars where it's warm and end up DEAD when the engine is turned on.

• Ocimom

To mark it as the cats :)

• Maxi

To put their scent on it, so it 'belongs' to them and all and any other cat will know that as it has been scent marked

Because cats also like new stuff.

It is probably to do with being the centre of attention, it is also because up there they're safer from being attacked, being stepped on or accidentally kicked. Up there they can smugly survey the world from a position of security. They often do it to cars too because the hood is warm from the engine.

There's nothing like a cat for finding a safe, secure and above all comfortable perch!

Thats funny, its because cats NEED to be the center of attention, so when you get something new that might eclipse the humans attention span, then they sit on it to put themselves right bac in the center of the your attention. You have to pay attention to them, even if its just to pick them up and move them. Cats really do think the universe revolves around them. That is my opinion.

It's cute and true.