A/C not cooling apartment below 86 degrees?

I just am searching online and thought I would ask here if there is anything I can do before I request maintenance.

At 6pm my apartment was at 78, I set it at 80. It continued to rise, A/C kicked on at 80 but the temperature continued to rise. Now it's 4AM and has been at 86 since midnight. The outside temperature never went above 74 today and it's 66 right now.

I checked the air filter, it's the only thing that makes sense to me in there, and it seems fairly clean not must lint/dust. The air isn't hot, but it just feels like it's circulating hot air already in the apartment and not really cooling.

Is there anything I can check or try before calling maintenance? Never done this stuff before...

If your interior temp is going UP when it is already above the outside temperature, you have an active heat source you are not aware of. That needs to be located and addressed.

• Captain Lemmy
      4 weeks agoReport

The active heat source is called humans. Stinky, icky things that produce body heat. Plus A/C fan motor, refrigerator, every light source (especially incandescent or halogen), and pretty much anything that draws electricity is a potential heat source.

seems the system is heating, not cooling. check your thermostat.

There's probably something wrong with the a/c system. Duh.

It sounds like the A/C is no longer cooling, just the fan is blowing. You have to call in a professional at that point.