What was San Fransisco like in the 1980's, as compared to Los Angeles?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

SF and LA can never really compared.  They are far too different in size, weather, natural beauty, employment or socially.

I moved to CA in 1983, lived a year in the east bay, moved to Santa Barbara for about a year, [not a SO CAL person] and moved to SF in 1985.  

Then as now it is compact, great weather, lots of green space, thriving arts scene, diverse, few freeways, expensive and unlike LA.

As opposed to 1980 SF, it is more crowded, much more expensive, less inclusive, and losing it's small city charm.  

Still the weather is good, the scenery and arts scene still exist and I can't imagine living anyplace else.

• 3 weeks ago

San Fran has always been different from LA in geography, climate, politics, architecture, and culture. San Fran is compact and cool, and was a haven for "hippies" in the 60s and 70s, which has since influenced its lean to the left. Remember that Reagan was governor of California before he became president- he was elected mostly by people outside the San Fran area. California has wobble between liberals like Jerry Brown and conservatives like Schwarzenegger for decades.

• 3 weeks ago

San Francisco was much more liberal and gay than LA, also a bit more expensive. Kind of like it is now.

• 3 weeks ago

It was probably a lot gayer

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Smaller, cooler (I mean temperature), more open space.  More hills.  Better views. 

Both cities are not cities you live in. By the 80s, people no longer commuted to SF from the suburbs, they commuted TO the 'burbs.  LA is kind of the same.  Neither city has changed all that much, really.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.