Is the purpose to go to a university to get a degree to get a better paying job?

a) yes

b) no

When you answer, can you give me an explanation?

The purpose is specific to each individual. It could be to avoid work, learn something, please their parents, get job training, pursue a passion, earn a degree, find a spouse, or several other things. The purpose of higher education -- from the perspective of the university -- is to provide education and to advance academic inquiry.  

Not really. The purpose is to get a job you will enjoy and where you will have some control over your career. It is an opportunity creator, not a money creator. Money might be the goal, but it does not have to be.

I could have made more money doing shift work at the local paper mill, if money was the goal. I would not have made as much at the back end of my career, but the earnings on the front end would have been way higher. Money was never my goal. I didn't want to slog in a paper mill with weekly shift rotations my entire life.

I would say yes and no. The generic answer would be yes but when you think of it, a university is more than just school. It can be an experience to meet new people and find new hobbies. Yes, having a higher degree might get you more money but it is not the sole purpose.

Yes.

The short answer is yes. But let me explain my reasoning because everyone can have their own answer.

The obvious question is "why?" Some people consider the usefulness of going to a university to get a degree to relate only to money.

There is some merit to that consideration. Higher education supposedly helps us to live our lives - to at least help us meet our basic material needs. If money and time are spent on an education that does not do that, well then how useful is that education, and how well spent was all the money and time to get that education? There is prudence in the idea that invested money should yield at least some monetary return substantial enough to make a living for oneself.

People who seek education for the sake of knowledge in itself simply have a different value system - one that is not so prudent with respect to investment. That is okay too, but the counterargument is that your education could have been more usefully planned, and education for its own sake could have come later. Many people do in fact wish they had been more prudent in their academic planning while getting a degree because they cannot make a living and cannot make ends meet as they didn't go down a path with enough job opportunities and/or enough pay for them to make a living.

The reason to go to a university is so you don't post the same question 1000 times on Yahoo answers.

For some people it is. For some people it isn't. I can't see why that needs explanation.