Is the Universe not old enough for the decay of single proton?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Sort of, but not really.

Quantum decay is probabilistic. A "half-life" is the length of time over which the odds of the decay of a single particle is exactly 50/50. But any given individual particle could take many times that long to decay, or it could decay in no time at all.

There is literally no fixed length of time that is too short for a single decay to be possible.

• 4 weeks ago

When driving toward the Lawrence Livermore labs I saw a sign along the road that said: "Watch for falling rocks due to proton decay".

• 4 weeks ago

We haven't checked them all. I personally haven't checked any, in fact.

• 4 weeks ago

They can not Physically decay by themselves

This Atomic Science you are asking about

Even when The Universe has gone, Atoms will still be around

Attachment image
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ANDY
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

A single proton decay has not been observed yet. Scientists believe it would take several trillion years to have a complete decay. A proton's half-life is a little less than 3 trillion years, so it needs many half-lives to completely...."vanish".

A proton that becomes a neutron in a nucleus of an atom (by releasing a beta + or positron), is not considered a decay for it is always inside the same atom and is interacting with the other particles there.

• Hindusufi
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Well then we'll be watching for a long time to see a proton decay.

• 1 month ago

Didn't know all protons have decay. I mean some decay in no time, others, maybe never.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.