Cap'n Cook asked in PetsReptiles · 1 month ago

Turtles are attacking eachother?

I have two red eared sliders and one is older, and one is younger. I introduced them to eachother today. (the smaller one is in a tank in the house and the older one is in a pond in the backyard) I put the smaller one, (Cupacke) in the pond and when the older one, (Clarice) saw her she bit her foot and wouldn't let go! We had to tap her shell for her to finally let go. I don't want to get rid of one of them so they need to learn to get along. Anyone have tips/pointers?

Best Answer

Turtles will bite anything to see it it is food. If they are too different in size, do not put them together in the same enclosure. I made the mistake of releasing some baby treefrogs in to a pond with turtles, the turtles ate the treefrogs. I once put a baby turtle in the tank with a full grown adult and the adult bit the baby's shell and damaged it.

• Cap'n Cook1 month agoReport

Yes they are different in size, so I think I'll wait so she doesn't damage her shell or foot

• oikoσ

RES are notoriously territorial and aggressive. Usually, however, a pond should be large enough for each to have its own territory. Unless, of course, your idea of a "pond" is about the size of a child's wading pool. There is not much you can do, other than getting a HUGE tank or keeping the two separate.