How do you write a good chase scene in a story?

Not a car scene, like 2 cops chasing a suspect on foot through a building

Update:

Thanks for the useful answers.

And sorry to those who seemed to have been offended by my question

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Basically same way you would write a car chase scene or any other fast paced action scene. You imagine what is happening and write it down. Remember when writing fast paced action, it's a good idea to in general keep sentences short and cut down on details (there are of course always exceptions to the rule).

If you find it difficult to imagine the scene, then watch a few movie foot chases through buildings, there are a lot to choose from, I think the last one I watched was in R.I.P.D. This is a really time-consuming way to nail down a scene, though, easiest thing is to just use your imagination, and I would say learning how to do so is pretty vital for fiction writing.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

THE ONLY WAY write well and believably about it is to have experienced it in person, from both perspectives. First to be chased, and then do the chasing. Surely you have friends who might play along so you can get an idea of what it's really like.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Writing isn't science - it's art. There isn't one single formula that one could employ in every instance that will result in the desired effect. Raymond Chandler, Graham Greene and Cormac McCarthy were/are superb writers, but "Brighton Rock" doesn't read like "The Big Sleep", and neither reads like "No Country for Old Men." If you want to learn how to write well, you've got to read to be able to see how different authors explore the myriad of different ways stories can be written. You haven't developed a style yet, that's why you haven't got any sense of direction. Had you read 10 books in the last month - well written books, the words would be flying onto the page right now. Don't waste time asking how other writers might do something. It's not their story - it's yours. So build a solid foundation upon which to lay some sense of style. If you don't have a voice, who needs you - or your stories? There are tens of millions of rubbish wannabe writers out there already. Try harder.

• 3 weeks ago

"like two cops chasing a suspect on foot through a building" -Jesus

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Think of it like a video game level in terms of pacing and design. Think of a series of small challenges (that all take only a few seconds to resolve), and pace them out, with the 2 cops gaining ground between each obstacle.

Also, divide the chase into milestones (like each floor in a multi-floor building), and be aware of how much time you spend between each milestone. As the chase goes on, make the milestones come quicker and quicker to convey a sense of acceleration in the pacing.

• 3 weeks ago

You develop an imagination and don't rely on others to spoon feed you subject material. >>>

"Eliza stood on the whitewashed steps of the remote Greek island, gasing at her prize in the ethereal moonlight - the 4,000 carat diamond of the Knossos. Just then three men, priests, dressed in the ceremonial Minoan garb of the snake goddess charged out of a doorway at her. She sprinted up the stairway. They followed, at her heels. Each turn she took they followed like a lamprey. Little by little she gained ground on them being younger, lighter and so very desperate to return the precious artifact to her king in the Knossos. She bolted with all the speed she could muster through every twist and turn in the labyrinthine maze of alleys, crossing and stairways. Her heart threatened to beat out of her chest, her lungs pumped like bellows. Then at last she had gone as far as she could. She was on the highest roof of the highest building in the city. She stood in desperate panic knowing that the three vicious thugs would be on her in an instant. She took one breath, then another, then there they were, brandishing daggers, eyeing her like birds of prey. She looked to the left, to the right. There was no escape. She took one deep breath, put the stone in her mouth and lept, plunging 350 feet into the clear blue waters of the Aegean."

• Here is someone with real talent. It warms my heart to know that there are still young people with writing skill and imagination: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20191026010604AACS6C9

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.