At 14 (about to be 15), am I old enough to go outside alone?

We live in a good neighborhood, but my mom still refuses to let me. Even when we take my nieces to the park, I am not allowed to walk out of her sight

I’m not a bad kid either never been in big trouble, have good grades, a good group of friends, etc..

• Mark

Have a sensible (i.e. not emotional) discussion with your mother about her fears.

• Mike

What kind of helicopter does your mother have?

• Sharon

your mother seems a bit overprotective to me (a grandmother of three). At 15 you could be starting to date, and certainly old enough to trust to know how to handle yourself. How soon 15?

In most places you're about the right age to go outside alone in order to start learning how to take care of yourself for when you're an adult.

Especially if, say, you live somewhere rural like the bigger YouTubers do like Roman Atwood (Ohio) + Matt from DemolitionRanch (outskirts of San Antonio, Texas) that's fairly quiet.

However, as you're posting this under "New York City", I'll assume you live in one of the suburbs of one of the world's most significant cities famous for Central Park and all that stuff.

That makes it a bit more complicated as there's an insane maze of streets to get lost in (some of them worse for safety than others).

You might want to start studying Google Earth a bit more frequently to learn your way around the area + the bits outside it.... and maybe also ask the parent(s) if you can join self-defence classes like kickboxing or karate or something to help prove you can take care of yourself.

• Bill

you don't get the message

being good/ bad , having good grades , being religious has nothing to do with it

It is all about mentally deficient men or other criminals who will abduct you , rape , hurt and kill you and there is nothing that you can do about it except stay with others

i think so, maybe you should talk to a counselor at school and see what she says

Chicago - no. Anywhere else -yee