Paul asked in PetsRodents · 4 weeks ago

Syrian hamster?

I have a large wooden cage 200cms long and 106cms wide, height is 80cms tall and my female Syrian hamster is still trying to get out of it as she was in a wire cage 100cms long and 53cms wide, she has her spinning wheel in the wooden cage and other toys, and plenty more toys to come but why want to be out of a cage this big. Anyone know why? 

• Nathan

Hamsters need space. They are always looking for more territory, I suggest letting her freedom in a safe room for at least an hour a night (mine does for 5 hours and she stopped trying to escape her large enclosure). Does she have an 11" wheel? If the wheel isn't the right size she can't get rid of her energy without being in pain, so she will avoid using it. She needs to come out every day at the same time so she knows when to be awake and when to be asleep