Katrina asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Neighbor's dogs keep getting out. Inform landlord or animal control?

Our neighbors moved in last year the same week we did. Their dogs have been a nuisance for almost a year now. At first I thought it was just new surroundings but it hasn't stopped. The dogs get out of the fence several times a week, chasing people down the road, and taking dumps in people's yards including ours. They are some times left out for hours barking incessantly. We've told them several times that their dogs were out and they always get them if they're home. The fence wasn't great when we moved in, but now they're digging under it and running amuck. I don't want to be hateful, but I'm tired of stepping in crap when we don't even own dogs. I also am not a fan of them tearing up flower beds that we are under contract to take care of. If we or our kids go into the back yard for 30 minutes, the dogs will bark 32 minutes. We want to renew our lease, but I feel like the fence needs repaired to fix this issue. I'm not moving or going straight to complain to neighbor. What should I say to the landlord? Or do I go to animal control? 

Both and TELL landlord about the flower bed damages (if they are part of your lease agreement). Make them aware of the difficulty if this continues, with no repair of the fencing, it may affect your desire to renew your rental contract.

I would also report the dogs EVERY SINGLE time they are loose to AC (since it is technically ILLEGAL per leash laws) or take them myself to animal control, so they do not get hit by a vehicle. Then, the neighbors have to pay a fine to get them back and FINES often work wonders to get dogs housed more securely, or surrendered, permanently to AC.

Tell them both. The Ll needs to know the dog is running loose and AC needs to know before the dog bites someone or causes an accident on the road.

So what if the neighbors get mad. They have no right to be lazy and allow the dog to run loose

Unfortunately once a neighbour has to be spoken to about their dog, there will almost always be an ongoing bad relationship with them, perhaps with retaliation of some kind. You could suggest you'd hate to see the dogs being hit by a truck, but quite honestly, unless you aim to move again soon, I think I'd alert your local animal control and have them speak to these people who are more likely to listen to an authority than you in any case. I note there might be a landlord involved there, in which case, speak to the landlord!!

A year is quite long enough for this to have been going on.

ps If you can safely (not being bitten) pick up one or both these dogs and take them to your local Shelter as strays! That should mean these people have to pay a fine to get them back, if they are interested in having them back!

• Maxi

That depends on if your home/their home is owned by the same landlord, if so then you need to have a conversation with the landlord about issues that need fixing to enable you to renew your contract, including fence and the proble next doors dogs are causing you... if not then it would be animal control you contact

Then why have you ALLOWED this to go on for over a YEAR? Clearly this has let your neighbour know that you're "OK" with this.

What an idiot. Call Animal Control. Take pictures, Take video. REPORT THEM. If you're "under contract" to care for flower beds then report them to whoever's in charge of your community.

i would go to animal control about it

• Robin

call animal control so the neighbours pay a fine to get them back