Poll : If you are a US resident, and if you live in a household alone, how much money per week do you spend on groceries?

I normally spend $50 U.S dollars weekly at the grocery store.

I am trying to cut back. Is $25 per week doable , if I shop at the right retailer and catch good sales?

Can you give me some tips?

How much money do you yourself spend on groceries each week?

On average about $65.00...........

I'm not a current US resident, but I've found $50/week is about average in USA & Canada, that's including cleaning supplies.

Shopping flyers & using coupons can get you lower (I probably had it down to half that when I was single)

Spread out your non-food purchases, & expensive items(e.g. cold medication) over different weeks.  When you see a truly good deal(half price or less) on non-perishables, stock up on up to a year's worth, but ONLY if it's a regular item for you.  (e.g. toilet paper)

Source(s): I'm a master shopper on a budget
    • Misty
      4 weeks agoReport

$50 a week is average for a single adult in the US? Where do you read that? That's extemely low and few people can live on that amount.

• Misty

$200 a week for just myself. i buy some meals that are pre-made and also use the salad bar and hot foods they sell as well as other things. corn muffins alone are $1.50 each. I buy bottled ice tea, bottled lemonade. the hummus i buy just by chance is the most expensive in the store..(double the price of regular hummus). Fruit out of season. I just bought a watermelon that was $7.99. Couple that with meals I eat out and it is $200 at least a week.

that all depends on what you are willing to eat and if you can cook.

I am alone and don't spend $50 a week. that is probably enough for a couple of weeks.

I only eat meat maybe once a day, sometimes twice. I do eat a lot of dry cereal and milk or yogurt on it.

I eat potatoes and eggs sometimes. I do eat pasta dishes.

THATS a tad low when you consider fruits and veggies.Fresh that is,not canned.

• ckngbbbls
      1 month agoReport

idea how long they have been off the plant, sitting around in a warehouse or processing place before riding on a truck, then sitting in the storage area of the store,THEN sitting in the display case?? THEN you buy them and plop them in the fridge till you need them. Might as well eat the bag.

That wouldn't be doable in my area without help from food bank.

• Dimo

Tip: Rice lasts for years. "Fancy" Jasmine rice is under $1/lb in a 20 or 25 pound bag. 1/3 cup, 2.5 oz of dry rice cooks up for a generous serving -- 15 cents. If you more week and less food budget, rice will keep you full.

Tip: Americans eat too much meat. 4 ounces of meat a day is more than enough. 2 ounces is better. You can get chicken and pork for under $1.60/lb -- 40 cents a day is generous, 20 cents is all your really need.

Tip: "Ethnic" supermarkets has cheaper produce, generally half the cost at the majors.

FYI -- when I was single, I spent nada on groceries -- I ate at a "greasy spoon" restaurant. When I got married, I said "there is not food budget -- budget is what is left over after we have food."

Tip: Eat good, stay healthy. Food is more important than playing on the Internet.

Depends on what you eat and drink, and if you have any type of garden?

Yes, comfortable eating with a decent mix of home cooking and mild prep (such as buying broth rather than steeping it yourself) should be about $50 per person per week. However something I see all the time that blows my mind is when people buy mostly junk food like chips, crackers, sodas, frozen dinners, deli trays, etc, they easily ring up a bill in the $100-$200 range. While that may or may not be for a family of 2-4, you can see there's little actual food. I would go into their stuffed pantry and say "there's nothing to eat!"

If you're trying to cut back, knowing what's in season is key for produce, especially. Right now you can get kraut cabbage, 20lbs of cabbage for $5. While chanterelle mushrooms are a splurge any time, I've seen them go from $25/lb to $9.95 over a few months. In history things like nutmeg and sugar were status symbols to show you were rich because it took so much effort and money to get them.

i dont spend much on groceries, i go to places like the senior center or churches when they have activities and eat there