Anonymous

What happens if an international student is admitted through ED and ends up deciding not to study abroad?

I am an international student from Brazil and I have all the application paperwork ready. I want to apply Early Decision to University of Miami. I am sure this is the only American university I wish to attend, but I am not sure whether I am committed to attending university in the USA (because I am also applying to Brazilian universities which, depending on which ones I might get into, I might want to attend).

Given that *if I end up studying in the USA* I will only attend the University of Miami, can I apply Early Decision?

Because I have read that you have to commit to enrolling in the University to apply Early Decision! But what if I decide I do not wish to go to the USA any longer given the opportunities at home? Would that be allowed?

Thanks!

• drip

Contact the university direct and ask to get facts. Call the admissions office.

You are misunderstanding the ED process. You apply for Early Decision. They let you know if you are accepted. AT THAT POINT you have to commit- usually by sending money as a deposit. If you decide not to go after that time, you lose that deposit. That's all. No one is going to come and arrest you if you don't show up at the college.

i would just tell them if you decide not to go

Since you are applying to multiple universities, and do not know whether you will come to US or not, whether you'll get student visa or not, etc, do NOT apply under Early Decision rules. Use the regular application process.