To those who oppose the idea of free will, is there any one example of ANYTHING that is free? And is it outside the laws of determinism?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Determinism is impossible due to the concept of time, past and present.

If determinism was real, we'd have no recollection of yesterday, because everything would be "the next moment", and if that were true, then there wouldn't be an advancement of matter through time.

Because there is past, present and future, and we constantly transition between them, determinism is impossible, because it would require for there to be a "correct' manner of of which matter exists, and that means, no transition through time.

• 4 weeks ago

Everything moves as directed by the forces on it. Nothing ever has a choice. Even in quantum mechanics, wavefunctions collapse to a state at random. Still, nothing makes a choice. Everything is either predetermined or random.

• 1 month ago

Houston has mentioned that the behavior of particles involves random chance. What about living things?

If a pigeon in a Skinner box has been rewarded for pecking at a target, has this behavior become predictable? Not really. There is a probability that it will peck during a short interval, but the observer can't say with certainty that it will peck once, more than once, or not at all. It's behavior is a matter of random chance.

Approximately half of all alcoholics who ask for help recover. An individual's recovery from alcoholism is unpredictable.

In the Trump vs. Clinton election, pollsters said that Trump's chance of winning was only 20%, and yet he won. Even the behavior of populations is unpredictable.

What are "the laws of determinism"?

• 1 month ago

If I oppose the idea of free will, then nothing is free, so how would I prove that with an example of something that is free?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No

QED .

• There are indicators that there are physical reactions, albiet at the quantum level, that occur randomly.  If ANY physical element of the universe, even at the quantum level, are random, then the subsequent reactions to that event are extemporaneous (the string of cause and event is broken), and absolute determinist theory is wrong.  And from what I have seen, I agree randomness does exist.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Language game.

Free = not constrained. No such absolute state, as any event is preceded by and continues in other events that develop it.

Will = to choose. A bird is free to choose among flying, walking, and swimming; a turtle, between swimming and walking.

Agency = causative putting into topos. Agency is will or choice as permitted by energy laws. A turtle might will to fly, but it will lack agency. As Descartes taught, good will is desire of God, Good, and reflects Mind's Ideas; agency is desire extending into place, into space.

Degrees of freedom, based on controlling laws of energy, hence, "freedom" is not an absolute, if absolute = freedom from laws of energy.

• 1 month ago

Is opposing the idea the same as simply disagreeing that free will exists? I can't think of anything that is truly free of ALL influences, can you? But it's a lot simpler than that in my opinion; We make choices based on who we are as people. The combination of DNA, upbringing, experiences, etc. Those are the things that 'determine' who we are, and who we are is the determining factor in what our choices are. Seems straightforward.

• The laws of determinism are so vast, allow for such a great array of variation, that spontaneous events are probable. They may not be free from law, but they are free from being confined to less variation space. In the end can't set up a hypthoesis that tests for non-determinism (w/e tf that means).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.