Potty training ?

I have been trying to potty train my 3 year old for almost a month now and nothing has worked. We did the 3 days stay at home drink alot and go every 20-30 mins. He know that pee and poop go in the potty because I always ask him and when he has an accident I always ask where does pee and poop suppose to go and he says "in potty". 

When I'm home I always have him drink a  Cup of water after every time he uses the  potty. I set my alarm for 15-20 mins now and when I tell him it's time to try I walk in the room and he has peed on the floor. I am so lost in what to do because he is starting school in a couple months and he has to be potty trained to go. Any advice would be helpful

I wouldn't ask him if he has to go i would say it's time to try to pee and he sits and tries....not him telling you no...

When he has an accident he needs to clean up, change his clothes.

Also if you are switching from diapers to underwear it's a mixed message.

If you are using pull up those feel like a diaper and he will never get it.

Underwear, water just like you are doing...as often as possible.

As adults a diaper is all he really knows and 3 seems a little later than most start working on this.

It's a process, you'll be proud soon be consistent.

• Suzy Q

You did the three days. You did thirty days. Past time to concede that this method isn't working for your son. At least not now.

I know the sense of urgency. I've been there. Time was running out. And still I say: back off. Back off completely. Even if only for a month. You've gotten the both of you in a vicious cycle of failure, and in this mess the odds of succeeding in time for school will be lower if you just keep going than if you leave him be for a while.

Just because he can answer you by rote if you ask where poop and pee goes does not mean he's ready. He's not extraordinarily late to be ready either. Things can move quickly at this age, you may find that if you back off for a while, potty training is suddenly a breeze when you pick it up again. It certainly did with our oldest, who also trained only a few months before starting school. 

When you do start again, stay with him, or keep him in whatever room you need to be. How will you see any signs he needs to use the toilet (which is what you need to be helping him recognize) if you leave him alone until your timer goes off?

And stop filling the kid with so much water that he can't go 15 minutes without making a big puddle on the floor. Sure, he needs to drink enough, but not THAT much. How can he possibly learn how to recognize when he needs to go when he feels that urge ALL THE TIME? He needs to experience the difference between needing to go and NOT needing to go, and he can't learn that if he has a perpetually full bladder. 

Finally, relax. If worst comes to worst, and he doesn't make it quite in time, and you really can't make arrangements with the school (and this will NOT be the first time they hear about a situation like this!) he will just have to start school a few months later. Surely he isn't actually required to start school before or on his fourth birthday? I promise a few months delay won't make any difference when it's time for him to apply to college. 

you could try rewarding him with a treat

• Tomalochk
      3 weeks agoReport

Money probably won't mean anything to a child of his age

• Byrd

He isn't ready back off

you could try giving him a treat when he does it

• Alexes4 weeks agoReport

I forgot to put in. We did the reward system and chart system and that didnt work at all

• abdul

Go in there with him and make sure he gets it done right. After he gets it right for awhile, then let him do it alone again and see how it goes.

• Suzy Q
      4 weeks agoReport

But why aren't you in the room with him while attempting this method of potty training? 

Keep toys in bathroom, read children's books to him about going to potty.

4 weeks agoReport

His favorite toys so he will want to stay in the bathroom, toys he can play with on the potty is a good idea you had.