If your vehicle is loaded with a lot of people/items should you take it off Eco and put it in Normal/Sport?

In my 2018 Civic there were 5 passengers including me and I was driving them they were all over 120+ pounds and there was some luggage at the back.

My dad was saying if you drive it in Eco and the load is heavy you are straining the transmission I’m not sure what that even means.

Apparently it was in the “owners manual” i doubt it though I never checked.

Is it the same thing if you are in an F150 and you are towing something but you are using Eco mode instead of Tow mode?

i have driven well over a million miles .owned hundreds of cars ..still own a repair garage ..so i am experienced ...your dad is right ..if you have ever driven a manual car you will know what he means ..its like driving up a hill in top gear ..it strains the whole car ..you putting it into normal drive is like changing down a gear ...trust your dad on this one ..experience is the only thing you cannot buy

No, you aren't straining the transmission. You dad doesn't know what he's talking about. Most people have no clue how a transmission works or what the various driving modes do. But if your car is heavily loaded you should put it in sport mode. This will lower the shift points among other things and give the car more usable power. This will give you better performance. You might not be hot-rodding around but in a sudden, emergency situation, you might need it.

• .

abuse of vehicle is a no-no