Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Can I drive heavy trucks with this questionable driving history?

Im 23 and thinking of what I want to do. Im really drawn towards the idea of acquiring a CDL and driving heavy trucks, but Ive only had my class D license for 5 months. On my record, I have a "Violate Restriction of DL" from 2016. I was pulled over with just a permit and let off with just a ticket. No court. 

Side Note: I wanted to drive for Uber to make some side money but was denied because of these 2 reasons.I then applied to deliver pizza part time but was denied because of the Violation. If I go through the process of getting my CDL, will the Violation and/or the lack of driving history prevent me from finding a trucking job? Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 days ago

if you improve from your past, you can do anything let alone drive a truck

• 1 month ago

Buddy, let's cut to the chase.

First, your driving history is not questionable in any way. It's pathetic, as in you're considered a high-risk driver by even the most forgiving insurance companies. You have less than one year of experience, and you screwed it up with that major violation (yes, yes it is major). Your driving record is so lousy that you can't even get hired for pizza delivery.

Second, pizza delivery is the absolute bottom of professional driving. They'll hire just about anyone willing to do that job, people who can barely speak English, and they still won't hire you. If you can't get hired for pizza delivery, you can forget about 18-wheelers and limos.

• David1 month agoReport

I actually did get hired to deliver pizza, I was just assuming i wouldnt since Uber denied me.
      And I met with a recruiter yesterday from New England Tractor Trailer Training School who accepted me into the program and I am going to apply for financial aid this week
      Thank u for your encouraging words

• Scott
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Sure, you can drive trucks. The question should be "will anyone hire me to drive trucks?"

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You're going to have to wait until 5 years have elapsed from the date of conviction from that ticket and in the mean time have no more violations before it won't cause problems for you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I don't see any future for you to drive commercially, Skippy. Insurance drives the hiring decisions of most trucking companies, and your age and experience just don't meet that standards that most companies want for commercial drivers.

MOST companies want drivers who are at least 25 years old with at least TWO YEARS of accident free and violation free driving history. I wouldn't even think about taking CDL training until you meet those minimum standards.

Source(s): I'm a retired long-haul trucker (CDL-A)
    • Ron
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I'm sure you could get hired on some fly by night trucking company for 12 bucks an hour.

• 1 month ago

i would talk to the dmv about all this

• Edna
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

No use talking to the DMV about it. The DMV can't change his driving record, and the DMV isn't going to be the ones hiring him.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.