Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 10 months ago

Can I drive heavy trucks with this questionable driving history?

Im 23 and thinking of what I want to do. Im really drawn towards the idea of acquiring a CDL and driving heavy trucks, but Ive only had my class D license for 5 months. On my record, I have a "Violate Restriction of DL" from 2016. I was pulled over with just a permit and let off with just a ticket. No court. 

Side Note: I wanted to drive for Uber to make some side money but was denied because of these 2 reasons.I then applied to deliver pizza part time but was denied because of the Violation. If I go through the process of getting my CDL, will the Violation and/or the lack of driving history prevent me from finding a trucking job? Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

if you improve from your past, you can do anything let alone drive a truck

Buddy, let's cut to the chase.

First, your driving history is not questionable in any way. It's pathetic, as in you're considered a high-risk driver by even the most forgiving insurance companies. You have less than one year of experience, and you screwed it up with that major violation (yes, yes it is major). Your driving record is so lousy that you can't even get hired for pizza delivery.

Second, pizza delivery is the absolute bottom of professional driving. They'll hire just about anyone willing to do that job, people who can barely speak English, and they still won't hire you. If you can't get hired for pizza delivery, you can forget about 18-wheelers and limos.

• Scott

Sure, you can drive trucks. The question should be "will anyone hire me to drive trucks?"

You're going to have to wait until 5 years have elapsed from the date of conviction from that ticket and in the mean time have no more violations before it won't cause problems for you.

• JetDoc

I don't see any future for you to drive commercially, Skippy. Insurance drives the hiring decisions of most trucking companies, and your age and experience just don't meet that standards that most companies want for commercial drivers.

MOST companies want drivers who are at least 25 years old with at least TWO YEARS of accident free and violation free driving history. I wouldn't even think about taking CDL training until you meet those minimum standards.

Source(s): I'm a retired long-haul trucker (CDL-A)

i would talk to the dmv about all this