How do I open this safe?

I found this safe behind a wall-mounted mirror in my house. So, the first thing I do is call the previous owner but they just told me that it must have belonged to the owners before them and that they never even noticed it before. There is a combination code written on a post-it note next to it but I tried it many times and it never worked. Am I just doing it wrong? I have never owned a safe before so I don’t know how to use one. Is there some special way to open these safes. Also, this safe is a little bit different than the safes I found on the internet. It has a 0|0 and 1|0 in red and then in white, it has 0|0 to 9|0 as you can see from the photo. 

• keerok

The 0|0 is zero. From then on 1|0 is 10, 2|0 is 20, etc. That's a regular safe. Just follow the instructions. Those are standard safe opening procedures.

Start at zero. Turn 4 turns counterclockwise but stop at 10 on the last turn. Follow the rest of the instructions on the Post it. Save that note, take a picture of it or whatever. Ask a locksmith to change the combination to make it "really safe".

• Itamar4 weeks agoReport

But which 0|0 and 1|0? There is a red one and a white one. Either way, I tried both of them. I tried many different ways and it never opened. So I thought maybe there was some special way to open it, i guess not.

Start your attempt to do the combination by turning left first. Most big safes and security locks start left rather than right like the old gym locker combo.

Semtex from Pearl L. He or she will know how because he is so intelligent

Put your fingers into the holes and turn the dial you see. There is a white line at the top of the dial to line up the numbers on the instructions. If you make a mistake, you can "clear" the current attempt by starting at the top each time. 4 Turns to the right, which means four complete 360 degree turns.

maybe you can get a locksmith to show you how to open it

Instructions look clear. Maybe you could show this photo to a locksmith who deals with safes.

The combination was left with the safe? Doesn’t sound “safe.”