Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

To parents, have you ever had your children choose their own discipline when they disobeyed your rules? Of course with your final approval?

Please describe. Thanks.

I know of parents who have offered children a choice of two or three consequences, for example a grounding for a week or doing a list of chores.

• Suzy Q

Discipline, no, that's my job. But I have let them choose how to make amends, because that is something they need to learn.

For instance when my oldest hit my youngest, he had to do his time in time-out. That was discipline. And he had to apologize to his little brother, because you should always apologize when you hurt someone.

But JUST an apology is for when you accidentally step on someone's toes. 'Sorry' isn't good enough when you hit someone. That calls for amends. And he had to figure out how to do that. In the end he decided to give his brother one of his favorite stuffed animals. A sacrifice for him, and comforting for his brother. Both they and I found it quite fitting. 

Punishment. Learn English

"don't go near the cliff little John" mommy says. John walked near the cliff, it then collapsed and he died "well he did choose his own consiquence" mommy laughs while the upbeat theme song plays.