Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 4 weeks ago

Why are women always portrayed as shopping ? How can shopping be a hobby ?

I've never understood this stereotype...I once saw the movie "shop-a-holic" with my girlfriend and I could never understand this...how can shopping be a hobby...shopping involves spending money...that's totally unsustainable !

Sometimes it frustrates me to no end how much women fantasize about expensive things like fancy weddings...or building a luxurious house...where do they think this money will come from ?

• Foofa

It's just a certain type of woman and those do exist. But yeah, I HATE shopping. Now that women are likely to remain single or just to marry much later in life and have to be responsible for their own finances one hopes this stereotype begins to fade.

only the gold digger types r obsessed with expensive things, i dont care much about expensive brands, or shopping in general. but i like wearing nice clothes.

All women are gold-diggers, as long as they put out buy them stuff

They love it. Especially for shoes.

BY WHOM? I ONLY SHOP WHEN NEEDED not for sport.

• Piero

When my wife died, I joined 3 dating sites. Most women cited shopping as what they wanted to do along with their dates. It appears to be much more than just a hobby with a lot of them.

now a days women have jobs and pay for things themselves

• susan

First of all, shopping can actually be a hobby. I don't enjoy it enough to fit the stereotype, but I absolutely do know some women for whom shopping is a form of entertainment.

As for whether the habit is sustainable, well, for some very rich people, I guess it is. But other women will go to stores, pick up items for sale, look at them and hold them. If the items are wearable, they will try them on and look in the mirror. But they might not buy anything when they go, or they might buy just one thing after hours of shopping at multiple stores. This kind of shopping, which is hobby, because it is done for fun, is easier on the budget.

Then again, there are, unfortunately, people who cannot afford to buy bags full of things, but do so anyway on credit, and wind up burdened with a debt problem. I can feel sorry for them at least a little, because we are all only human, and we are all weak or stupid in some way at some time or another.

• Cogito

"Shopping" doesn't always mean buying things.

Many women just like to walk around shops looking. It's usually just a reason to spend time with a friend, wandering around a mall, having a coffee, chatting.

Men go to bars or sports games - we just have different ways to pass our free time.

But as you say - it's a stereotype. Not many women would describe shopping as a hobby.

Also, what you're describing is a movie - not real life.

And another thing - fantasising is not the same as really doing it.

Most people fantasise about being rich or famous or winning the lottery or something like that.

They don't really think it will happen.

cause they like looking around at stuff