What is the best way to finish a new poplar handrail? Shellac, shellac and poly varnish or just poly varnish?

A polyurethane varnish is the best choice. Easy to apply, dries quickly and gives a durable finish. You can even get it in a water based form.

I'd spit coat it with shellac then sand with 220. I'd do that twice then put on a straight coat of amber shellac and give it a light sanding once it is totally and thoroughly dry with 400. That will give it a nice amber "glow". I wouldn't use poly. I'd use either marine spar varnish or spray acrylic lacquer.

• oil field trash
      3 weeks agoReport

Way too much work for a finish that is not very permanent. Spar varnish is very heavy and doesn't give a very smooth finish for a handrail.

Just poly varnish, I'd say.  Handrails get a lot of wear so you want something hard and durable.