Laptop very slow during moving files. Is this normal?? (Pic Attached)?

The transfer speed on task manager is 80MB/s although on the transfer window it is saying only 50. The drive is HDD 2TB seagate.

The laptop is very slow and doesnt respond sometimes while transferring files. It is an i7 8th gen laptop with 8 gigs of RAM.

I am only running beside the transfer: one tab of chrome, 5 extensions , OneNote and potplayer (mp4 player)

Update:

Laptop is very slow during moving files. Is this normal?? (Pic Attached)

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

you must perform and complete a full disk check on all disks involved in the slow activity.

• YKhan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

80 MB/s (megabytes) is not slow! 80 Mb/s (megabits) would be somewhat slow. How large are the files, and how many files are there? And what are you transferring the files to?

As for the responsiveness of the system, yes that is normal. If the system is busy transferring stuff out of the disk, then it can't use the disk for any other purposes at the time. For example, your system virtual memory file would be on the same disk as whatever stuff you're transferring out of it. If the disk is busy (it's showing 99% busy), then access to the virtual memory would be slowed down. You got two options for this: (1) switch to an SSD, or (2) add more RAM to it, take it up to 16 GB, or you can do both.

• YKhan
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I see from the background of your screencap that there are at least a couple of copies going at the same time, perhaps just run one copy at a time?

• 1 month ago

It should be normal because it’s a hard drive not an ssd.

• Damien
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

what windows version is this? is it crappy windows 10 where it gives you silly time wasting messages like "working on it" or "preparing to transfer files"?If its not wndows, Also it depsnds on from where to where youre transferring files, if youre transferring files from a external harddrive to a usb , depending on the model, sometimes it will take long time depending on whether it is a pen drive or whatever other types of drive there are, there are some compatibility issues, if ur transferring within the hard drive form folder to folder, this could be cause one of your ram chips is not working, type dxdiag and check if it does say 8 gb, also could be a virus that is slowing things down, so do a virus scan, if everything else fails, reinstall windows and everything will be perfect again.

• Damien
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

well when i bought my windows 10, it too was a slow piece of trash in moving files, this is how its built, but i fixed the problem by moving the entire harddrive to a different laptop, seems to be compatilbility issues microsoft is not aware of, best u can do is turn off services in services.msc

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.