Can I sell a duplex & buy a single family house with a 1031 exchange?

Yes.....The IRS allows like for like, meaning you can exchange an income producing property for another property. I've exchanged a rental home into Industrial rental property. I've also exchanged a commercial store property into vacant land. You just can't 1031 exchange your personal residence (or vacation home) into an income producing property......

Sure, but ONLY if you wish to keep both as rentals.  If you're thinking about a single family unit to turn into a residential unit in which you live, no, that is not approved.

• Glenn S
      3 weeks agoReport

If you exchange a property you no longer own that first property so you couldn't keep both it as your rental properties. The first property would belong to the new buyer, not you.

• Brian

Sure. And when the IRS asks you about it, be sure and show him where YA said it was OK.