Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 4 weeks ago

can i be a cop with a juvenile record?

i'm 15 and i really wanna be a cop with i turn 18. Some departments hire you at 18 and some at 20 or 21. However i have a felony and multiple misdemeanor charges over the past year. Will this go away when i turn 18? I live in CT.

I don’t think so.........

A felony? Many states auto expunge at 18--but this Usually only involves your First charge as a juvenile, ever. I suggest you contact your local public defender's office,immediately, for an application and consultation. Free. You can't ever be a cop with any felony on your record. .Maybe a few misdemeanors, depending wholly on what they were and disposition, and your record From 15 to 18 or 22.

EDIT: No. you Can be a juvenile And get a felony Charged as a juvenile. It's just the court's discretion (and state law) to be able to be Tried as an adult or juvenile. Tried as an adult is usually only for murder. I Know; met a guy paroled at 75 after having been in since he was 16 for murdering his parents.

Source(s): REF: PC Public Defender's office, attempts at set aside/rights restoration. Andy Silverman. atty at U of A. They laid it out per US rules and rules specific to my state.
  • Sally

I suggest you get the paperwork and apply for a presidential pardon. If you are really into bullying and killing you will make a good cop.

Source(s): www.ChuckBaldwinLive.com

I doubt it, especially when you’ve mentioned what you’ve done was considered to be a felony, rather than a misdemeanor and they take felonies MORE seriously, when going through the application process.

What they like to see is that you’ve been rehabilitated and haven’t gone back to where, you where before

A sealed record is NOT A MYTH !

Most employer will be unable to see your record except the Government the Medical and Health service The Military and the Police.

So go to your nearest police academy and wave at them nicely and smile as that is the closest you will ever be to a career in the police!

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

And, Might get an auto expungement at 18 as juvenile, of the felony. Might cost $10,000 for lawyer, YOU don't Know. A good Lawyer told me: No guarantees in law.

1. If you were actually charged with a felony, you were charged AS AN ADULT.

2. Even juvenile charges for what would be a felony if charged as an adult disqualify you from possession of a gun, which is nearly always required to be an officer.

3. MULTIPLE convictions in a single year, if not disqualifying, would put you at the BOTTOM of the list of potential hires.

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

Besides; what Styate, what Country? Why do'nt you Play "lawyer" for someone and get jailed for it? Stop Pretending to Know Anything.

i would ask a police academy this question

• .

Don't count on it happening

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

Might get an auto expungement at 18 as was a juvenile, of the felony. Might cost $10,000 for lawyer, YOU don't Know. A good Lawyer told me: No guarantees in law.

I believe the police department would have access to juvenile records, especially a felony. You could try, but you would probably be automatically denied if you were convicted. Your application would ask you extensive questions about your history, probably even little things like parking tickets.

• .

Police departments have access to sealed juvenile records and do check them during the hiring process. I doubt you would be hired with felony convictions. If it were something minor like underage drinking, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.