Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 4 weeks ago

What's faster? Our planet going around the sun? or the speed of our solar system in the milky way?

Update:

or the speed of the milky way moving as a whole

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Earth orbits the sun moving about 66,600 mph.  Our solar system orbits the Milky Way's center at about 540,000 mph. 

• 4 weeks ago

Relative to what?

Relative to the center of the Universe - then it depends on the time of year.

• 4 weeks ago

The Solar System has at least ten times the speed

Is this a referendum ? I am from Northern Ireland, we are doing OK without a Government thank you !!

Attachment image
    Source(s): Meanwhile, who pays for the upkeep, heating and lighting for our Government Building, Stormont ?...….Yeah,,,,, Us !!
  • 4 weeks ago

My understanding is that Earth moves around the sun at 30 km/sec, and the sun moves around the galaxy at 600 km/sec.

I advise you to verify these figures using your preferred search engine. I recommend using DuckDuckGo, the search that doesn't track you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • poldi2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Speed of the Earth around the sun: 110,000 kilometers per hour.

Speed of the solar system around the galactic center: 828,000 kilometers per hour.

Took less than 3 seconds to find this out - so which do YOU think is faster.

• 4 weeks ago

The Earth travels around the sun at 66,666 mph. The Sun rotates around the center of the Milky Way at between 420,000 and 540,000 mph. It is believed that the Milky Way is traveling or moving around a "local group" of galaxies at 2,237,000 mph.

• Sharon
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Earth's average speed in orbit is 18.5 miles/second.

The Solar System's speed in orbit around the center of the Milky Way (known as SgrA*) is 225 miles/second

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.