Does anyone know what type of passport is required to go from and to the US and CANADA?

I am planning to travel to NY by plane then take a rental to Canada. I have my passport card but not the passport book. Will this suffice the border entry to and from Canada? My wife has her Permanent Resident Card and my son has his Passport Card as well. Should we be ok with these documents, legally speaking. 

If going by plane everyone needs a passport .

If going by land or sea then an enhanced DL, passport, passport card or in the case of your spouse her ARC card is enough. Child, the birth certificate is enough or in your case passport card.

• Foofa

Your passport card is sufficient. But if you're not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident you're going to be admitted as a tourist. Meaning your stay in Canada will be temporary.

Sure. To get in to Canada, even a regular driver's license is enough (legally, at least). To get back in to the USA, a passport card is accepted.

• Lisa A

Yes. You can use a passport card to go from the US to Canada and back by car. Canada is a very special case, and a green card holder can enter Canada as a tourist with her green card.