Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 4 weeks ago

What job can I get in the medical field without experience?

I recently graduated from medical assistant school. I have my medical assistant certification as well as my BLS certification yet I get passed on for interviews. I am eager to work and have been looking for jobs but nobody is willing to hire me without experience. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

• Jason

Not sure where you are applying, but consider that ALL jobs are competitive. How do you compete with those other applicants? Who are they hiring?

For example, the clinic to which I'm attached is a specialty heart clinic with world-renowned surgeons and cardiologists. It's hard to get hired there. The clinic assistants over there almost all have bachelor's degrees in exercise physiology -- and they're doing the job an MA does. So if you were competing against that bunch for a job there, you'd get passed over.

Now, a primary care clinic is likely a different story. The more specialized or sought out that clinic is, the harder it's going to be to get a job without experience. Target your job search to family practice and internal medicine clinics to start.

Small clinics and urgent cares are more likely to hire MAs without experience. You don’t say where you tried, but both my UCs hire new grads. Other places may be free clinics, STD clinics, multi practice offices etc.

If you have the time, see if you could volunteer at a nearby free clinic. You would gain valuable experience.

• Frank

You can be an ORDERLY. You can be a JANITOR. You can work in the Kitchen washing DISHES. There are lots of moron jobs at a hospital.