Who? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

My son suddenly started speaking in a heavy Irish accent and we can't understand him, can someone please help us?

If he is a teenager then he is just showing off and probably knows very little about Irish accents.

Start speaking with some heavy accent yourself, that he can't understand, and give him a taste of his own medicine.

He is either joking or whimsically rebelling against your excessive seriousness.

If you listen to “Come out ye black and tans” before you go to sleep for 5 days in a row, you’ll start understanding him without having any peoblems. You’re welcome.

Stop giving him Guinness.

Well tell him it's time to go pick non-existent potatoes and begin to slowly starve to death due to nasty English landlords. Which would describe some of my own heritage quite nicely. 

• M.
      4 weeks agoReport

Pick potatos?
      Hmmm.

throw him out of the house

• audrey

Get him a good psychiatrist.

I got similar as a teen, because I had been copying what I was seeing/hearing in TV shows. 

So good a neighbor had to stick his elbow in my side. He had introduced me to a visitor from another country and I had spoke back just like him. I had not even realized I had done it! :) 

If your son is worse than I was; we can Pray to GOD for help here!