eve asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 4 weeks ago

In other words, the definition of freedom has been changed. What is your response to compatibilism?

As you learned from your reading, compatibilism is the most popular theory among philosophers. This theory says that determinism and free will are compatible. However, it claims that while our actions are caused they are still free as long as we are not coerced

5 Answers

Relevance
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Would note that the definition of freedom has not changed: OE freo = acting of one's own will, which ~ = compatibilism: i.e., one who is free to act in a given circumstance has agency for her motive or desire. This notion is in many philosophers' thinking. Schopenhauer said ~ one may do what one wills, but may not will what one wills, which is ~ "existential soft determinism." A more profound awareness of self as inner Child of joy, light, and love, is soul personality, and this leads to God's will as Good, and harmony with such Life, Truth, and Love as true freedom--the freedom that a bird has to fly or to perch, both in obedience to laws of energy.

So, for purposes of class, you might note Saint Thomas Aquinas as a compatibilist (search engine time), and Schopenhauer's "do what you like but you can't will what you like" as a midway stage to knowing self, whether as Godly, a la Kierkegaard's Knight of Faith, or simply like a Maslow, doing the next best thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_o...

• The definition I heard varies slightly from yours...actions are not "caused", but are selections from available choices in response to uncontrolled conditions.  Under this definition, there is no such thing as coercion, just choices with varying degrees of success.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Do your own schoolwork. That's your responsibility and what your teacher expects. If the work is too much for you then you should consider dropping the class and taking up something more compatible with your laziness.

FAIL

• 4 weeks ago

I agree. I have been a compatbalist for several years. It just makes the most sense to me. We all act under the laws of cause and effect, and freedom exists as so far one has a choice and hasn't been forced by others into action.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

not sure to be honest

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.