Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

If SCOTUS rules against transgender discrimination in the workplace does that mean I can’t protect my transgender employees?

Because I will still protect my transgender employees with our non discrimination rule based on gender identity.

Best Answer

Your company can have any policy they want, as long as it is legal. If the Supreme Court says that it doesn't HAVE to be included then that doesn't mean it CAN'T be included.

If the Supreme Court rules that transgender isn't a protected class under the law, that doesn't prohibit ANYTHING. At most, it ALLOWS actions that would not be allowed under a different ruling.

Note: The issue in the case is the meaning of the word 'sex' in the law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sex.

EEOC is a Federal Law, The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is responsible for enforcing federal laws that make it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. It is also illegal to discriminate against a person because the person complained about discrimination, filed a charge of discrimination, or participated in an employment discrimination investigation or lawsuit.

Which transgender is a protected class under sexual orientation

The mentally ill are all ready protected. You want them to be "more special". Yeah, that ain't happening.

• 3 weeks agoReport

No I don’t. I want them protected from discrimination from others. I do the same to my gay, disabled, veteran and ethically diverse and politically different employees. Perhaps I should lessen protections for veterans though.