Do life jackets have GPS in them?

I was just curious thinking with technology nowadays a GPS life jacket would be a normal thing, especially on planes.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Military type life vest do, and have had them (radio transmitters) long before GPS came about.

On passenger aircraft - no. It would be too expensive or every single life-vest to have a GPS tracker, or even a radio emergency beacon built in.

The aircraft has one, as you probably know. It's called a CPI (Crash Position Indicator) and is integral to the "black box" they always seem to have so much trouble locating.

• 1 month ago

No, they don't but they could have.

• 1 month ago

Some might, it's a good idea though.

• P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not usually. They're supposed to know where you crashed

if you survive

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes some of them have GPS in it.

• Matt85
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

That's a great idea, although probably already thought of and ditched probably because it's too expensive. =/

• In
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I think some of the newer life jackets issued for ocean use have signal flares and radio transponders, but GPS would use too much energy and you are not going to need directions while bobbing in the middle of the ocean.

• 1 month ago

Yes..............

• Manny
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

You would think so. But in America's 19th century interpretation of capitalism, profits triumph above all else.

So guess what; if the law says forty stitches is enough to hold that jacket together when forty-one would be ideal, it's gonna have forty stitches.

Source(s): We suck… Just as much as my lame analogy, LOL…
  • 1 month ago

They're available, but not mandatory. Keep in mind that that would be just one more electronic device in an airplane that would need to be flight-certified, and regularly inspected and replaced. There have only been a handful of passenger liner ditchings at sea, and all were close to shore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_landing#Passen...

• Hannah
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I doubt it. People are cheap.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.