What makes a cpu better, more hertz or being able to be more efficient?

Efficient cpu is very important.

"In 2010, IBM demonstrated a graphene based transistor that can execute 100 billion cycles per second."  

If I tried running a current cpu at 100GHZ(and lets imagine it did work for a minute or two) in my computer I'd probably see a little ball of fire burning its way towards the center of the earth.

• Steven

Just look up the performance score on passmark etc.

Clock frequencies, cache size, and the number of cores are part of it but it's been a long time since anyone without a computing degree could understand all the magic that makes a modern CPU.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

• Lv 7
  • Andy T

Efficiency? I really am not sure what you are getting at but hertz is nearly meaningless when you are shopping around for a new computer or parts. I do hope the Intel model # scheme is as streamlined as Nvidia and Red Team, we got to stop this AMD one name to rule them all non-sense, we do have AMD and its ATI department.

If it is streamlined, higher 2nd significant digit according to Intel is the better offering.

There is really no good answer to this because both increase performance. I generally look at cpu benchmarks to help me decide on performance vs. price.

A CPU's performance depends on many factors. The most important of which is garbage and buffer collection. If you know something about buffer size buffer overflow, you will be knowing there is a cache memory in a cpu and what is it for. It is responsible for garbage collection, thus, does help in the high end performance. Next is its built. More clock speed also affects the performance but it is not mandatory. For example. A 2.2GHz i7 9th gen processor is better than 2.2GHz i5 9th gen processor as well as 2.2GHz i7 8th gen. The simple fact is the build is new. Third may be the count of cores. Like you must have seen 8-core, 6-core, 4-core CPUs, so the thing that makes them better is that more cores provide better multitasking and response time. The last may be the type of secondary storage used. Like with SSD, CPU works more smoothly than HDD. While the load will be the same, the thing that differs is SSD will take less time for the process hence the total load will be reduced. Hope I helped.

Having more cores means your CPU is able to understand instructions of multiple tasks, while optimal single threading means it's able to process each of those individually, and really well.

When it has RGB Lights it is better. When not. Then not.

RGB makes EVRYTHING better.

Fun aside: it depends on what you want to do with it.

Newer Intel CPU processors will always be better than than older hardware, new CPUs are released every few months.

This is how the Intel CPU performance is measured

Intel Dual Core

Intel i3

Intel i5

Intel i7

Intel i9

It depends on what the computer is used for.