Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 4 weeks ago

what are my options?

I live in a apartment complex and hit my neighbors girlfriends double parked car. We verbally agreed that it was no big deal. A few days later she text me saying she now wants her car fixed and wants my insurance information.literally just smudged her car no scratches not even any paint damage.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

You really don't have any options, at least not any you're going to like.

You admitted to hitting her (illegally) parked car, so un-admitting it now is out of the question. And she knows who you are, where you live and your phone number, so good luck hiding and hoping this all just goes away. You have to give her your insurance info.

Yes, she might be trying to pad her claim against you, because people do that. But you're not an expert in vehicle damage or what it costs to fix, so how are you going to defend her wild accusations?

Do you know who is an expert in auto damage and repairs? Yup, insurance companies. They've done this a million times, and they know every little trick in the book. Before they agree to pay anything to anyone, they're allowed to send an expert out to look at the damage up close. They do that for a reason, because their expert knows the difference between damage that was done last week and damage that was done two weeks ago. And yes, there really are people who do that crap for a living.

Also, some jurisdictions have laws and some insurance contracts have different rules for compensation when a vehicle is hit while illegally parked. So make sure to include the double-parking thing when you talk to your insurance company.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Interesting scenario about hitting a parked car:

The person who hits a lawfully parked car is generally responsible.

So what about an unlawfully parked car?

Ask your insurance company.

• August
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

I would try and avoid the insurance and pay for it cash in hand if possible

• 4 weeks ago

No big deal. Your fault, she wants it fixed. Take out the smudges, it is fixed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

You do not have to give insurance info. You do not hat to use your insurance. Get an estimate of your own and settle on that.

• 4 weeks ago

Ignore her.Sounds like she's out for money and since nobody was present it's her word against yours if she takes you to small claims court. She'll likely get dumped by her boyfriend by then and forget l about it.

• May
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Give her your insurance info. Notify your insurance of the incident and let your insurance worry about whether or not it is a valid claim. You bought insurance for protection so allow them to protect you.

Your other option is to have her get an estimate and then pay her out of pocket for damage repair. (IMO, This is a foolish option)

• 4 weeks ago

One option is to ram her car again so it is really broken and can be fixed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.