What are your views on synthpop? Does it have any merit whatsoever?

To me it's the most appalling form of music there is, and the "artists" involved haven't a lick of talent. I've studied music at college for the last two years, which has made me hate these turds even more. Steve Vai is talent. John Petrucci is talent. Eddie Van Halen is talent. Pressing buttons on machines that effectively write the song for you, is lazy BS.

Only two synthpop songs have ever made me not want to vomit: "Enola Gay" by OMD and "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode. Those two bands each fluked out with one well-arranged and affecting, albeit incredibly simplistic, track. The rest of the genre is just self-indulgent, make-up wearing hams who couldn't play a guitar scale to save their lives.

What say you?

• Have you ever tried using a synthesizer, it's not as easy as you make out.

Vince Clarke, for one, actually has more COMPLETE musical talent than any of the guitar masturbators with zero in the way of songwriting skills whose names you dropped. Just saying.

I dont love all aspects of synthpop. I think Soft Cell are faqs for instance. But Depeche Mode, Yaz, A Flock Of Seagulls, Gary Numan, and Ministry's pre-metal stuff are the schit. 

I am probably a bigger metal head than most here. And we are talking extreme metal head. I get into real sick schit like Brojob, Disgorge, and Carcass.

I think that a metal band that has a wide range of influences outside of metal, will make a better metal band than one that doesnt.

But I appreciate anything that has melody to. And a lot of things can be found in synthpop that has melody. 

4 azzholes who have listened to only Van Halen, Five Finger Death Punch, Pantera, and Hatebreed their whole lives isnt going to be schit as a band. 

Source(s): nothing

What are you on about? Synth-pop is excellent, its a tricky fragmentation to pull off successfully. Heard of Gary Numan or VNV nation? Tangerine Dream? It takes a lot of skill and intuition to put projects together. At least they are not music thieves, using other peoples samples. They create material from scratch. If you had mentioned trance, rave or house music, electronica like that... then I would strongly agree - it takes no musical ability to produce that stuff, anyone can use apps like fruity loops or music jam maker. However synth pop, different kettle of fish.

I'm a rock fan myself but have to aknowledge there are some amazing synth bands out there. The hypnotic patterns of synthesizers are often used in prog rock and only help enhance the music.

" Pressing buttons on machines that effectively write the song for you, is lazy BS" .

Have you ever actually used a sequencer unit or real synthesizer? I'm not talking about your Casio PT10 keyboard, there's a little more to it

You seem to have a thing for guitar soloing. The rest of us enjoy hooks and memorable tunes, of which the synth-pop scene offers many. Since you have at least a shred of respect for OMD and Depeche, try their albums 'Architecture & Morality' and 'Violator', respectively. If they don't make you "vomit", try Human League's 'Dare'. Gary Numan's 'Pleasure Principle'. New Order's 'Power, Corruption & Lies'. Don't be so closed-minded... you come off like one of those intolerable, elitist metal heads with a vendetta against actual songs.