Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

do I look weird having coffee alone at a cafe? I do it all the time when I have coffee, do I get judged for it?

• Prince

Stop looking around like a goon for other people's reactions. That is quite the opposite of cool.

• Misty

Not at all. Coffee shops are one place where it is quite OK to be alone and not appear "suspicious" or though "something is wrong with you". Keep going to them! And enjoy that coffee!

I do the same thing, if you are judged for it so be it but I doubt anyone is paying attention.

if you feel that way, then you have a low self esteem.  You think by sitting alone, people will think you have no friends.  Then because you think that way, you will act awkward and people will think you really have no friends.   Really, the older we are, the more we have to be independent.  That includes doing thing without a friend.  If you keep doing something with a friend, you are no different with a scared teenager who has no idea what he is doing and always needy.

You are not responsible for how others view you and if you enjoy having coffee by yourself, continue to do so.

To suggest you aren't being judged would be incorrect because all people judge everyone else all the time. But are you being judged negatively? I don't believe so by most. Most don't think there is anything odd by having coffee alone (especially considering the other answerers opinion). But most doesn't include everyone, but who cares what that guy thinks, right?

i dont think so, ive done that

Only by weaklings who have nothing better to do but judge others. Some people are afraid to do anything by themselves or be out with crowds. You look fine. They haven't outlawed being single yet.

I go to Starbucks maybe 3-4 times a week.  After work, running around shopping and doing errands, etc.  I go there for the WiFi almost as much as the caffeine.  I'll go there with someone if I'm with someone, but usually I go alone.  Look around next time you go to a coffee place.  MOST people are alone!

Though often I see moms with kids at Starbucks.  The kids will have a lemonade or something.  And that's funny.  'Let's go get Mommy's drug fix!'  8^)

most people in public are self-conscious just like you.

so your worries about people judging you for being alone is the same fear that millions of others have

that is probably one of the reasons why you see people in cafes with other people.

they worry they are going to get judged for being alone just like how you think