Do IQ tests really determine how intelligent people are?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

My dumba** friends got a 32 on the ACT and a 1380 on the SAT and I'm a huge retard and my SAT scores were 1130, 1190, and finally 1600 so go figure.

• David
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No, because IQ tests only determine how knowledgeable people are which is not the same as intelligence but that of a good memory.

• 4 weeks ago

They do test approximately. However, they are unreliable and narrow in culture.

1/ practicing the papers can improve score

2/ state of mental health changes score

3/ those of different cultures do not perform as well as target population.

so, they are a good guide - a poor rule.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No they determine how unintelligent people are

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It may determine how intelligent a person is but not how he or she is going to use it.

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The IQ Tests have been proven BOGUS ...............................

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In 1983, an American developmental psychologist Howard Gardener described 9 types of intelligence. There are many articles about it. Here is one:

https://blog.adioma.com/9-types-of-intelligence-in...

Naturalist (nature smart)

Musical (sound smart)

Logical-mathematical (number/reasoning smart)

Existential (life smart)

Interpersonal (people smart)

Bodily-kinesthetic (body smart)

Linguistic (word smart)

Intra-personal (self smart)

Spatial (picture smart)

An IQ test, designed and administered properly measures logical and mathematical and linguistic and spatial to some extent all merged together. People with a high IQ have knowledge in many areas, but that doesn't say that people with average IQs don't have abilities with knowledge in other ways.

An IQ test is measured timed, and covers Verbal, Mathematics, Spatial orientation, Visualization, Classification, Logic, Pattern recognition, General knowledge, Short term memory, Problem sensitivity

His book is controversial, but I consider it a reasonable approach.

People with high IQs should be acknowledged and respected for their ability in the areas tested.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

no.  maybe intelligent in logic.   it doesnt measure people who are good in music.   it doesnt measure people who are excel in sports either.   Athletes are the best people who can focus on goals.   Their focus is much higher than a lawyer for example. 

Professionals like therapist have a better way to measure a child's intelligence.  They do an interview and ask a certain type of questions.   From the answer, they would know if the child has an aptitude for a certain career.      

• 1 month ago

IQ tests are misleading because they do not accurately reflect intelligence, according to a study which found that a minimum of three different exams are needed to measure someone's brainpower.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.