Are some lawyers bad writers ?

• Best Answer

Whether or not Lawyers in general have bad handwriting I am unable to answer, but whether they are good 'writers' is up for debate. There are multiple types of writing for different purposes, but for the purpose of brevity I will split it up into two common writing styles; 1. Creative Writing; 2. Technical Writing.

As for creative writing, most lawyers are trained in some sort of philosophy, which may make them predisposed to thinking critically about certain ideas, whether that be plot, character development or even just interesting life queries.

As for technical writing, I think a successful lawyer has to maintain a certain succinctness in their writing in order to make their case to the judge and/or jury. Being clear and concise is super important in all fields of law, American or otherwise.

• Marli

I'm aquainted with three lawyers who are Sherlock Holmes fans and present papers to the local society. All three are good writers. One presents his paper as though he is addressing a judge - academic, each point cited and defended fully, and his argument building to a conclusion like a buttressed stone wall. A well- researched, well written essay, but ponderous. The other two men are also lawyerly, but lighter. They write and present papers more witty and less academic in tone.

So, my conclusion is that most lawyers write well, but it's a matter of knowing not only your subject, but what approach and what phrasing would appeal to your target audience. The judge and Lawyer A's colleagues might prefer his serious case for Mr. Holmes's deductive skill. I am not a lawyer, so I find Lawyer B's essay easier to comprehend. It's "in my language" and "at my level". It's also entertaining.

• Joe

Some are bad writers, a lot are bad people. Just like doctors.

• Cara

Lawyers are generally well educated. Well-educated people should be able to make themselves clearly understood through any means of communication. Possibly they are not good at writing novels, however. Is that what you mean?

If you're one, then the answer must be 'At least one of them doesn't know how to post a clear question'.

What do you MEAN by 'bad writers'?

• silvermoon4 weeks agoReport

well thanks for the snarky bitchfest leveled at my question, love the humans online

Do you mean bad writers as bad handwriting or bad writers as writing a bad book?

I dont know any lawyers